Saturday, April 12, 2014

Turning Into Your Mother

What happens when you turn into your mother?
It happens to a lot of women. As we get older, we find ourselves becoming more and more like the woman who raised us. But what are the implications of slowly becoming your mom's clone?


This is my mother. She is beyond wonderful, but I think the best thing about her is that she is one hundred percent herself, all the time. She has this way of being beautifully honest with people. As much as she is an introvert and likes to be by herself - like me - she can read you like a book and tell you things about yourself that even you don't know.

Over the past few years, I have had the joy of realizing that I'm gradually turning into my mother. Today I've been thinking about that and wondering what it means for me. Here are some of the things I've learned:
  • I will always - always - have a scab or a scar or a burn mark or a bruise, somewhere (probably in multiple places) on my body. This is partly because I am clumsy, and partly because, like my mother, I live in my body and it bears the evidence.
  • When I get stuck trying to think of a word, I will always just spit out whatever word comes out. Nine times out of ten, this will not be a real word. Ten times out of ten, it will be unintentionally hilarious and simultaneously frustrating.
  • I will always look better with long hair.
  • When I find a really cool rock, it's okay to sniff it. It's also okay to taste it, provided I didn't pull it from a pile of animal excrement. Actually, don't pull rocks from piles of animal excrement.
  • If I want something done in a particular way, I should do it myself.
  • I should never be afraid to build things. 
There are more, of course, but these are on the front burner. 
If you come away from this with just one thing, let it be this: if you hear your mother's voice coming out of your own mouth, embrace it. If your mother is anything like mine, she is wise, witty, and kind. And if that's what I'm becoming, bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment