Sunday, January 25, 2015

Nursery Remodel Part 2

We painted!!
But first, we moved everything out but the bed. My brother was gracious enough to come and give me a hand moving things out (don't be fooled - we paid him with Elliott's old TV!). Here are the photos, from "moving day" to this morning.

Please ignore the giant mess that is the rest of the bedroom. This has since been cleaned up! This picture was taken after the second coat of gray paint had been applied. Elliott and I went to Home Depot and checked out paint colors. Elliott picked out this gray, which I thought might be too dark, but once it was on the wall, I totally loved it.

After painting two walls a fresh gray, the white on the remaining walls looked really dingy in comparison. So I trekked back to Home Depot and picked up a bright flat white and spruced up the other two.
This is the base for the Aspen trees I painted on the north and west wall of the room. I used the white we used for the other walls, but since I wanted a sort of unfinished/distressed look, I left the edges rough and only used one coat with a mini roller, so some gray peeks through in places. I also did not go all the way to the floor and ceiling trim - I left about a half an inch of gray on the top and bottom of the trees.

Oh, and after I took this picture, I went to rinse my brushes and tray in the bathtub, and came out to find Eddie with a white nose. One of the corner trees was missing about the bottom eighteen inches of paint - yep, he had licked it off the wall. I was not a happy camper, and spent the rest of my night watching him closely to make sure he was okay, and making sure he drank tons of water!
Once the white was dry, I added detail with the same gray as the wall. I used a simple foam paintbrush to create the lines and accents.

The final step was adding small branches to the tops of the trees. I didn't want to do anything too intricate - no criss-crossing branches or anything, so I made them small and kept them high on the trunks. This is the corner where the rocking chair will go.

I'm planning to do a sort of "accent tree" on one of the white walls, right next to the door. It will look the same as these trees, but the colors will be opposite.














Other things that I accomplished this week:

  • Started working on the mobile/canopy - pictures to come!
  • Made a trip to IKEA to pick up floating wall shelves, a mug rail and hooks, doormat, curtains, and rods
  • Destroyed the east wall of the baby's room by not attaching the shelves properly
  • Cried about the shelves and the wall
  • Scrubbed the floors and baseboards in the baby's room
All in all, a pretty productive week!

Up next: 
  • Paint ceiling trim
  • Another IKEA run to get the big furniture pieces - crib and mattress, dresser, nightstand, hopefully lamp & patio lights
  • Paint crib, dresser, nightstand with Annie Sloan Olive chalk paint
  • Sand, refinish, and reupholster the rocking chair
  • Stain the cedar chest
  • I'm thinking about sanding and re-staining the floor trim; it looks pretty rough, especially next to the fresh paint on the walls. That totally depends on my energy levels though!

No comments:

Post a Comment