Saturday, October 25, 2014

Nursery Remodel Part 1

I had a dream.

I dreamed that I decorated the baby's room. It was beautiful. I had some idea of what I wanted before the dream, but I didn't have it nailed down. I guess my brain took my ideas and worked on them while I slept, and it came up with something wonderful.

So I have a vision and I have a plan, and I thought I'd post our progress as we go along. Here are the before pictures:


The baby's room is currently functioning as a guest bedroom/office space, but it's the most neglected room in the house, decor-wise. Everything is sort of thrown together in there. It's functional, but it isn't pretty.

My to-do list:
  1. Remove all furniture - my brother has agreed to come over next week and help us do this
  2. Paint the south wall - the ceiling is already a nice dark blue-charcoal, so I'm going today to pick up light gray paint swatches to see what color we want. The color we pick will be what we use for the side table and dresser (and the bookcase, if I can figure out how to paint laminate).
  3. Replace blinds on south window (Effie destroyed them in her desperation to see outside)
  4. Reupholster rocking chair - this chair (currently living at my parents' house) has been in my family for three generations now, so the cushion is not quite so cushion-y anymore. I plan to treat the wood and reupholster the necessary areas.
  5. Sand and repaint side table - a great garage-sale find!
  6. Wall decorations (blown-up photos, soft amber patio lights, and baby's name in painted wooden letters on the north wall)
Large items we need:
  1. Crib - something small and compact, but sturdy. We like the Ikea GULLIVER crib in birch.
  2. Dresser - one short enough to attach a changing table to the top. We like the Ikea TARVA 3-drawer chest.
  3. Textiles: Area rug and curtains. We like the Ikea NORDIS rug in gray, and these curtains from Target.
Have I mentioned that I've been hit with the nesting bug? People said it would happen in the second trimester. They were right. I just hope my energy levels can keep up! I've already bought some things for the baby - mostly books, of course, but also some clothes and a winter coat that I hope will end up being the right size.



Happy Saturday friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment